Hurley

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I decided to buy a new car this week. My Volkswagen has been a perfect lil' car for the last year. supa' mileage and very comfortable. But I've been piling up the miles and thought it was time to make a switch. I wanted a little more room, and a little more VROOOOOM. Been looking for a Mazda 6 or a Jetta GLI. after a few weeks with no luck i swung into my dealership yesterday and spotted a gorgeous SAAB 9-3. woooo. It took 30 seconds of test-driving to convince me that i was in love. Signing the papers tomorrow.

Without question, this is the nicest car i've ever owned and i couldn't be happier. Since i spend 90 minutes a day in my car (at least) i figured i needed a comfortable place. This fits the bill. Sunroof? Turbo? 5-speed? check. A very reasonable price? also check. If you're thinkin' about buying a car...why not look into a used car? My Saab is less than 4 years old and was a top-of-the-line car when it was new. it's got low miles, but i bought it for less than a 2009 sedan with far less options and luxury. Just seems like you get a LOT more bang for your buck. Sure, you're taking a chance that there could be problems. DO your homework, find people you trust and pay attention to small details.

I try to eat and drink somewhat healthy. It's not a full-on commitment, but i do my best. I've been trying to drink more water the last few weeks. Not sure if it's making me healthier, but i have to walk to the bathroom a lot more often. so i'm getting more exercise that way.

Heated seats is the most underrated option in automotive history. I've always said that i'll never own another car without sunroof. Now, i'm adding heated seats to that list. Wow. my butt toaster was workin' nice this morning as i headed to work.

American Idol is on tonight and i could care less. Call me when we're down to the final 4. until then, i got other things to do. The gym beckons.

Speaking of the gym...i sincerely hope the steroid guys are more subtle tonght. I'm not passing judgement, i'm just saying.. If you want to openly discuss your steroid use, please don't do it in the middle of the weight room in an extremely loud voice.

Wait, this car gets better highway mileage than my VW GOLF? wow. when gas goes back to $4 a gallon this summer i won't be dying. whew. i never sweated gas mileage until i started driving 70+ miles a day for work.

Brief glimpses of sunshine and temps in the upper 40's have given me hope that i'll survive this winter. Every time i look up, i expect it to be spring...and it's not. i fully expect one more blizzard before the year is over.

How on earth did we shop for cars before the internet? In less than 2 hours i read about every price, option, glitch, road test and consumer review that's been published on my new ride. Went to the dealer and had them check two areas where problems were common. i can't fathom how i plunked down a few thousand dollars for my first new car in 1999 without doing hours of exhaustive online research.

My friend thinks that "Jai Ho" should become the new "whatzup". just a nice general greeting that fits in a variety of circumstances. I'll give it a shot.

In the hubbub about our show with David Archuleta on Saturday, i hope you don't miss out on THRIVING IVORY on Friday night at the chameleon. great band! cheap tickets! lots of exclamation points!

i get a lot of press releases and newsletters in my email every week because of my work here at the station. i get 3 or 4 newsletters that are completely in spanish. I want to unsubscribe, but i can't find the link because i can't speak spanish.

almost died this morning as i was trying to program all my presets into the radio of the Saab. wow...12 preset buttons? was this car built for a radio geek? yes. i should let my radio friends campaign for their stations to be the better buttons, and not stuck at the bottom. #1 is FM97, #2 is my sister station WRFY. The rest are fair game. begin your bribery.

One of my friends used to sing "thanks for the mammaries" when he heard THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES by Fall Out Boy. Now, everytime i hear that song i think of boobies. maturity is not my strong point.

In the market for a 2002 VW Golf that's had nothing but tender loving care for the last year? lemme know. I'd type the dealership here...but they're not paying me. yet.

# of thoughts related to my new car in some way: 7
# of thoughts related to Best Picture winner Slumdog Millionaire: 1

my car deserves an Oscar.